Thursday, October 17, 2013

An Excited Applicant

Hello everyone, my name is DeRael and I am a current applicant for the Context Travel Rome scholarship. I am 16 years old and a junior at Sacramento Charter High School. I love to venture out, meet new people, and experience new things.
There are a number of reasons why I decided to apply for this scholarship. To me, this scholarship is a once in a life time opportunity and the idea of experiencing another culture firsthand is truly amazing. I love to travel. I've traveled all over the United States, to the Caribbean Islands such as the Bahamas, and even to parts of Mexico so as a passionate traveler this scholarship immediately caught my attention.  In Rome, I am looking forward to visiting historically famous places such as the Vatican and the Colosseum and seeing these amazing places for myself. The idea of standing inside the Vatican or the Colosseum, observing years of art, culture, and history seems so surreal. Another thing I am looking forward to is definitely the food. I love trying new foods; I believe food is a huge part of that place’s culture. What’s better than experiencing another culture by eating it?
For the application process I am current working on my Rome Timeline. One period from my timeline that I enjoyed researching was the founding of Rome. The founding of Rome happened around the 14th century when two twin brothers, Romulus and Remus, were suckled by a she-wolf as orphans. The two brothers decided to build a town on the site in which they had been saved as infants. However, after sibling rivalry between the two, Romulus killed his twin brother Remus. Romulus then became ruler of the settlement, which was named “Rome” after him. This time period is interesting to me because I find it fascinating how the founding of such a well-known city is based off of myth and legend.
I am very excited to continue with the application process and I look forward to working with Context a lot more in the future. This isn't at all an easy scholarship, so to my fellow applicants I want to wish you all good luck.




-DeRael Edwards         

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;